Wednesday 30 April 2008

Which is the right way?

I was a speaker on a panel called "How I got Started in business" at a Business exhibition in Guildford today.

The idea was to share our experiences of setting up new businesses from scratch, answer questions from the audience on the highs and lows of working for yourself as well as discuss things we would do differently if we were starting again.

Now back at my desk a question put to us by a member of the audience has remained in my mind. This lady is just starting out as a graphic designer and has done work, submitted it to clients only to be told that they will not buy her design after all.

This is awkward because the client gets to keep work that they have not paid for! On her part as someone new in business she is very keen to demonstrate the quality of her work as a way of getting new business in and is inclined to do the work and send it to the prospect/client!

She therefore wanted to know how to deal with such a situation. A fellow panellist is in the same line of work, his advise was ask for a deposit or payment upfront and as far showing off your work is concerned, simply use a portfolio. Sound advice I say!

I empathised with her, as I have to send off samples to retailers and some expect to keep them. I have had to learn to say upfront that I expect them to be returned should they decide not to place an order, and this has worked fine so far.

I also get invited to speak, mainly at local events to tell them about my work and the like. Although sometimes the people who invite me make a small donation towards my expenses, I never charge for these appearances as in my mind, they provide me with
•an opportunity to promote my business
•practice public speaking in a friendly environment, a daunting task at the best of times
•network with others and I often pick up new ideas and friends or even new customers


My Business Adviser thinks that I should charge as I am providing a service


What are your views on such matters?

No comments: