Monday 14 April 2008

Did they really make up an entire travel guide series?

I took my first trip to Madagascar last year and met a woman from Switzerland called Gabriel. She wanted to find an art gallery in Tana but her guide book did not appear to offer proper directions to the place. I was using the Bradt guide, so I suggested that she borrows my copy. I told her that it had not let me down so far.I had managed to find both orphanages I had to visit easily and that if that place is not listed by Hillary Bradt then it does not exist.

Gabriel joked that this could be true as the author of her Lonely Planet guide book didn't appear to have ever set foot in Madagascar at all. When I caught up with her later that evening she informed me that indeed the gallery feautured in her guide book did not exist!

This morning BBC Radio 4 interviewed someone (came in half way through the point) who was saying that the series of Lonley Planet guide books are incorrect and indeed made and that the BBC owns a share in these guides???

Have you ever used a Lonely Planet guide book, if so what was your experience?

No comments: