Wednesday 10 September 2008

Poverty at the source of the Nile


School Kitchen and cook




Earlier in the summer I came across Street Child Africa a Thames Ditton based charity working to tackle the issue of street children in Africa and the issues that they face.

The person I met asked if I would consider being "their friend" ? Yes that would be an honour. Friends do each other favours now and again, so It was that when they learned I was heading out to UG they asked me to do them a huge favour of inspecting their project in Jinja a town at the source of the Nile.

I set off at 7.30am on a cold and rainy spring morning and by 9.00am I was at the source of the Nile. I was struck by the poverty in this place in comparison to the landscape. Given the amount of rain here, the vegetation is lush and green, the Nile is almost bursting at the seams.

Having met a rep from the Street child Africa local project we headed 3 KM out of town and arrived at a tiny school that should not accommodate more than 200 students but was accommodating 1300, with each class holding at least 80 children. 300 of these children are from a traveling tribe called the Karamajong and often end up on the streets. The authorities do not want them there but never do anything to support them, another 50 are from child headed households and these are directly supported by Street Child Africa.

My visit here has been anticipated for sometime, I am told and perhaps I would come with answers to some of the issues they were grappling with! The worst thing one can do here is promise that which they cannot deliver!

I quickly set the record straight and explain my background and how it was that I was standing in front of them. Their response was very humbling indeed and reminded me why I set up Ethnic supplies in the first place.

We know you may not have the financial means to resolve our problems, but at least you are able to present them realistically to the rest of the world, and you can speak on our behalf they said!

Incredibly the school was at some point a beneficially of the world food programme but was dropped because this area of UG does not suffer from food shortages. This is true but the school does not grow it's won food and has to buy it in, which make it very expensive.

2.5 hours later I was back at the Nile specifically Bujagali Falls a spectular water fall that forms part of the River Nile. I sat here for sometime and contemplate on the events of the past few hours.



bujagali falls

There is an irony about this place too , tourist come here for the thrills of white water rafting, quad bike rides, country walks in the most amazing scenery but the villages surrounding this beauty are so poor I can't find the words to describe the situation here realistically. The frustration or the villagers' circumstances stare out at you as you drive through the villages.

There is no formal housing to speak of, instead a lot straw thatched and mud hats, that could catch fire any minute!.

Next time you are Jinja stop by Masese School they will be pleased to see you, please take some pens if you can, Barclays bank will give them to you for free!



school washrooms

No comments: