Monday 25 May 2009

Being in the wrong place at the right time or is it? part 2

The visit to Leicester was interesting in many ways than one. First I got to meet the Ugandan Asians, most of them had been children when Idi Amin expelled the Asians from Uganda. Through the various conversations I learned that for most Uganda will always be home and indeed some were in the process of relocating there

During the question and answer session I was given the opportunity to discuss my work in SW Uganda. This was more than I had expected mainly because Uganda’s First lady is the MP for the district where my project is located and up until now I had not had the opportunity to speak to her about the project but here I was addressing both her and the President.

I also learned about an upcoming launch of a new network called UK Uganda Business and Professionals Association the following month. This meeting attracted most of the folk that were in Leicester as well those looking for investment opportunities in Uganda.

During a networking session I had a conversation with two chaps Tony and Adam who introduced themselves as coffee roasters from North London. I cheekily asked them whether they knew much about Ugandan tea and they challenged me to find them fine Uganda tea by way of shutting me up and I agreed!


One of the things I learned early on about networking is that the “fortune is in following up”. I asked my mother to send me some fine Ugandan tea via a friend who was in Uganda and when it arrived I sent it off to Tony and Adam.

Be back tomorrow with what happened next!

No comments: