Sunday 20 July 2008

1 year on at Ethnic Supplies

I find myself in a reflective mood this week. A year ago to date, I had just returned from Tanzania where I met the most amazing women fighting all sort of obstacles in their way to make ends meet. One such woman was Julia a recently widowed Masai woman who had been expelled from her village by fellow women who felt threatened by her single status.

Here is Julia at her stand at the International Trade show in Dar es Salaam last year


On my return to the UK my handbag was stolen at Gatwick Airport which was really ironical as I had spent a week in the chaos of down town Dar es Salaam which had passed without any incident save for the odd mosquito bite.

I quickly recovered from that as I had to get ready to out to Madagascar in preparation of the an event I was organising with the Madagascan Embassy in London as well as the official launch of Ethnic Supplies.

Looking back on the visit to Madagascar I realise that there is an awful lot of work to do to alleviate poverty in the world.

I am now getting ready to out to Uganda and Tanzania next month to review what effect if any my involvement has had on the lives the women I teamed up with a year ago. It will also be an opportunity to look what has worked and what hasn't.


The biggest challenge that has faced Ethnic Supplies like any other business has been the current financial environment, no one knows what is around the corner.I am however optimistic about the future and the outlook for autumn is very promising indeed.

The greatest achievement has been getting one of the products into Exeter Museum, the products are on a trial at Chester zoo and I am awaiting an answer from Woburn Abbey.

I have teamed up with a two charities that work in Africa that has been worthwhile especially in the current finance environment.

Women at the Good Shephers Sisters in Madagascar where they are taught embroidery and other incoming generating skills

No comments: